Picked up a Pot belly pig.. Is it Pregnant??? *Pic*

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
I ended up picking up a pot belly pig off Freecycle..

She is 7 months old and had been in a pen with a Male for a couple of months till the day we picked her up. This was about a week ago

I havnt had a Pig before So no idea how to really tell, She is a bit skittish so not much touching her belly right now but I did once and her breasts were squishy like a cats when they have kittens, Is it just me or is she fairly fat and her breasts sagging? Also worried she may be having them soon because today she hardely ate anything and was laying around alot and did her piggy sounds at me whenever I got near her. Not something shes been doing

One other side question, when she's cornered (sometimes im not doing it purposely its just the way the pen is built) she kinda does this half oink/squeal grunt sound at me. Is this a warning or just a pig thing? Id rather not get bitten lol

32404_102_3461.jpg

If she was penned with a boar for even a week most likely shes pregnant so if shes been in with a boar a few months most DEF shes pregnant and as you can see shes already got a milk ridge starting on her belly and teats are already starting to get pointed toward the ground... I'd say shes 2 and maybe 1/2 months preggers... with a month or a half left to go. When was this picture taken ? When a good sow starts to have her pigs it's 100% noticable because they will start trying to pick things up in their mouth to make a nest and will root aggressivley and their body temp will rise and they will try to cool off by trying to get in the mud and may bite onto things if your out there with her alot you'll notice a quick and I mean quick body language change and it won't be just laying around she'll be restless. I have some prelabor videos of my sow nesting but it's so early morning I just don't feel like hunting them down now maybe later. LOL when they get to the 3 month mark they start laying around moaning and groaning just heavy preggers with their big fat bellies my sow I think is trying to pop them out by laying on her belly with her front legs and back legs outstretched I make her quit if I catch her at it LOL shes now due in 8 days. It takes 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days to get piglets exactly.

Heres a bellly shot of when my sow was 3 months pregnant. Now shes due in just 8 days
9872_1milliebelly.jpg

Here she is being her normal grumpy self.
9872_miillie.jpg

Heres the fat girl begging for me to rub her belly after deciding it was worth it to beg
9872_millie.jpg

I know Millie looks bigger but it's just my camera. Millie is 15 inchs tall and without being preggers is actually 50.2 pounds at 3 years old but right now she looks bigger when shes heavy preggers!

These are pictures from Millies last litter of babies. In these pictures she was 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days pregnant and in prelabor. Millie delivered 8 healthy baby piglets and This time I expect 6 or more little bugs
Picture035-2.jpg

Picture036-3.jpg

Annd just to get you oh so excited heres a couple baby pics
Picture136.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture100-1.jpg

Picture202-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but you still have at least a month maybe month and half to go! Give her plenty of healthy food, fresh water! And this is a great time to bond with her
smile.png
since you said she was skiddish! Your going to want her to trust you and not get aggressive towards you when the piglets come..try treats, same tone of voice annd just take it day by day! Her grunting at you when cornered can be agression or just scared! Be careful! So like I said win her over with treats and trust! Our pigs are the sweetist things! Lotsof people have terrible experiences but that doesn't have to be the case. You'll know in your gut if she's warning you to back off!

But for having piglets if you have never had a pig before go get some books from the library! There's a lot more to it then you actually would think!

We just sold are last litter for this year. We have yorkshires so there a lot bigger! But its a lot fun!

Good luck and keep us posted would love to see her grow and of course the piglets!
smile.png

Try treats (something special and yummy-an oreo cookie is what my friend uses)
so you can get in the pen to fix it up for when the piggies come.
For bedding straw or hay.

Lynne
bun.gif

tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Awww! they are Adorable!

The picture was taken 2 days ago, the other person who had her kepted her in a small pen maybe 7x7ft and really couldnt much move away when you got in the pen, She's in a really large 30x20 or bigger I havnt measured along with a 10x8 house (or bigger) First day she got here she'd let us touch her some but once she figured out she had all this room she wont let us to much squeal/groan sound and runs away

How should I fix her a nest? Just dump straw in the corner of one of the pens and let her do it or put it all in the house?

Lay it in a pile in the house area and make sure she has lots of room to lay and make sure she does not smush any piglets when she rolls over. She will make her own nest and gather some from her lot too and put it with that no matter how much hay/straw she has in the house she'll aggressively hunt for more!! But be SURE not to make it to thick a baby might get lost in it and she might accidenly lay on it. just needs to be enough to make the ground a little more then covered. i'd cut her inclosure in half it won't hurt her and then start trying to hand feed her don't CHASE her make her come to you and make her come over before you dump her feed out to her! even if its just a few steps toward you and call her name softly she will learn you are not after her and you bring only goodies! a good relationship is a must for the expected babies!

When a pot bellie pig is very preg. I think she needs a roller stake under neither. Had a chihuahua that looked that same way when she was preg. threated to put a stake board under her, she just wagged her tail and waddled off.

Good luck

well your pig is at least one and a half months in and they are pregnant for 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days because her nipples are not sagging and her belly is not touching the grown yet, but she is pregnant for shore.

And when you corner them, when they grunt like that. That means that they fell like you are a thret to them and they will charge just to get away some were that is safe for them.

If you have any questions about you pig, just right back.

ive had my pot bellie with a bore for 2 months and now shes alone but my averidge baby pigs get in her pen and she is around that big should i move her
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom