picked up "assorted pullets" from TSC today...guess the breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jojomojo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Just picked up 6 pullets from TSC today. They had 3 bins - straight run, reds, and assorted pullets. I was hoping for a little more to choose from, but as long as they lay eggs I'll be happy :)

If anyone has any idea what breeds these are, I'd love to hear it. I know nobody can say for sure (especially with that first one!), its still fun to think about & guess :) I don't know which hatchery they came from, but being in NM my guess is Privett or Ideal (and most likely not Privett because it looks like they only sell straight run).

chick #1
    [​IMG]

chick #2 (golden comet?)
    [​IMG]

chick #3
    [​IMG]

chick #4
    [​IMG]

chick #5
    [​IMG]

chick #6
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I'm guessing #6 is a barred rock.

3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I think 3 and 4 are Columbian Wyandottes, we ordered two and they look like ours.

4. jojomojo

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    A barred rock would be nice! I don't have any of those. I got excited about the possibility of columbian wyandottes (beautiful birds!), but after looking a bit more today I think they are anconas based on this video. I'm wondering if #5 is the same.

5. Naturemoma

Naturemoma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I got some from TSC and they look like #6, they were labeled blk Ausralopes. Hope that is what they are, although I really wanted barred rock.

6. Naturemoma

Naturemoma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    and #3 could be a RIR looks close to the ones we got[​IMG]

7. jojomojo

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    And I was hoping for an australorp! [​IMG] From what I could find, australorps don't have the light spot on top of the head, and that its a sign of cuckoo or barred coloring. I'd be happy with either though - I like the look of the barred rocks too!

8. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    #6 looks just like my BR, white on head and butt. This pic shows her starting to feather out on the wings.

[​IMG]

9. jojomojo

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Update! And a question...
    Quote:
    So I'm mostly updating because chick #5 is still a mystery to me! Black feathers, black legs, black-ish single comb and red lobes. Any ideas? I can try to get a pic of her, I'm sure it would help.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by