Picked up chicks, now broody mumma?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L1sa, Sep 22, 2018.

1. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    so I've just picked up 4 chicks for Doris, 1 light Sussex and 3 silkies. Now comes the question of how is the best way to get them under her so there is less chance of rejection.

I have a brooder ready for her to move into, so do I move her tonight before giving her the chicks or do I put them under her in her current nest and then move them all tomorrow? Plus she is still sitting on 2 x day 22 eggs yet to hatch (if at all). I want to get this right! And do I wait until midnight or just once it's dark.

Thank you oh wise and wonderful people!

Feather Hearts and BlueBaby like this.
  2. When I gave chicks to my broody, I put her in a space by herself for a couple of days so she'd know this was now "home" and then put the chicks under her after it had gotten completely dark for a couple of hours. Since you've already got the chicks, I'd say move her before giving her the chicks, but i could be wrong on that one...

3. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    I tried to move her a couple of hours ago and she went nuts! I even put her eggs in with her but she was having none of them and none of this new home!! I left it for half an hour with all the exits blocked and dark but she still wouldn't settle down. So I opened the door and she flew back to her old nest and as soon as I put her eggs close to her, she scooped them back under her and settled on them immediately. Definitely doesn't work during the day - 100%!!

4. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4070.JPG Just thought I'd upload the chick pics!

muddy75, 50-45-1 and BlueBaby like this.
  5. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    Oh, life is good in the coop!

Broody mumma is happily content with 4 babies snuggled under her. Looks like it has been a successful adoption.

:jumpy:jumpy:celebrate:jumpy:jumpy

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Songster

how did you do it. I did move my broody already, gave her a couple of sacrificial eggs, hatching her babies in the house

7. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    I didn't end up moving my broody before the chicks arrived, I left her in general population. I then waited until it was very dark. I had a low flashlight just to make sure i knew her location in the coop, (didn't want to put the babies under the wrong hen!) flashed it for about 2 seconds then turned it off. I had the chicks in a box, I worked very quickly and it was as simple as picking up a baby and putting it as far under her bottom as I could and repeating. She did give me some strange looks, but she didn't object! And that was it. She had been sitting for about 4 weeks, so I think she was ready for babies, and I have read that it's important to do it at night, and to not let mumma see the chicks before you put them under.

I moved her and babies into their new brooder last night and she was happy to go. (Have chicks, will travel!!)

Good luck with your adoption

Sara L and muddy75 like this.
  8. Gypsi

Gypsi Songster

Thank you Lisa

L1sa likes this.
  9. Gypsi

Gypsi Songster

She is on her perch and I don't have another broody. Do you have any ideas or am I raising chicks?

10. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    I'm afraid there is no way to force a chicken to become broody again, if she is on a perch it sounds like she is no longer broody.

The earliest I have put chicks out on their own without a broody is 3 weeks. But that was during summer and they had their own area in the run and their own sleeping box and they did fine. They huddled together for warmth at night. So you could be possibly raising chicks for a few weeks before they can handle life on their own. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: