Picked up our chicks this morning

PaulADK

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013

It seems awfully early for around here (forecast is for below zero most nights for

the next ten days) but when the chicks are in it is difficult to resist. Difficult? Ha! My wife took one look and said "I want that one... and that one over in the corner and... well, you know how it goes. Before long we had eight little buggers in the box, 4 straight run Americunas, (Sp?) 2 straight run Black Jersey Giants and a pair of Red Sex linked just so we would have at least two pullets. Lastly, we added a pair of ducks. The one is a Khaki-Campbell, the other, was the only white duckling (OK yellow duckling) in with all the other little tan guys. (He/she? is under the heat lamp in photo #1.) Since he has three very small brown spots, one on top of the head and two in the middle of his back I am assuming it is a mongrel khaki. Donald or Daisy May it doesn't make much difference. We have two small grandsons so they will each have one they can name.

Yes, thank you. I was in the process of monitoring the thermometer on the floor of the box at the time the pictures were taken. Shortly thereafter the heat lamp was moved up and out of the cage. I checked again this morning and the temperature is holding at 92 degrees.

I had to laugh, our youngest grandson, five years old, talked his mother into bringing him up to see the chicks, not once, but twice last evening. Each time when he left, grandma got a big kiss while I received a more manly handshake and formal "Thank you for allowing me to play with your chickens grandpa."

That is adorable.
smile.png

l "Thank you for allowing me to play with your chickens grandpa."

That's hilarious! What a polite little fellow. <3

Back
Top Bottom