Picked up some hens. One is rattling. Quarintine. Advice please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BadBloodNelson, Oct 17, 2019.

1. BadBloodNelson

BadBloodNelson Chirping

Jun 19, 2019
    Florida
    Okay so I went against my better judgement today. One of my friends contacted me, she just began a very demanding job and can't care for her flock like she wants. She's one of my chicken friends and her flock has always been healthy as far as I've known. I do not typically accept hens or birds from anyone who is not NPIP certified and I am usually very picky. I was trying to help this friend. There are about 8 birds in the bed of my truck in route to my farm right now. I wish I had somewhere else to take them. Upon loading them in the cages to transport I personally inspected each bird. One of the roosters has a spot on his comb that looks like fowl pox to me. That I can handle. What really scared me is one of the barred rocks. I could feel her chest rattle when I was holding her. Not a bad rattle but enough to be noticed. I placed an ear to her chest and couldn't hear anything. At this point all of the other birds were already loaded and I was comitted. I was informed that the hen is about 5 years old and another one the same age recently died. They were assuming old age. These folks are Spanish and I'm not so there is a language barrier.
    What in blue heck do I do now? I have a portable building shed thing they are going in for the night. Not near my flock of nearly 300 birds many of which are rare or on the livestock conservatory watch list. I can't lose my flock.. it may be nothing but personally I'm freaking out.

2. BadBloodNelson

BadBloodNelson Chirping

Jun 19, 2019
    Florida
    I will try to answer these to the best of my ability seeing as they just became mine. I did discover they weren't getting chick feed.... Only cracked corn was in the feeder.....

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Barred Rock hen, 5 years

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She seemed to be acting normal. I could just feel rattling in her chest while holding her.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Unknown. Apparently nobody had noticed. Previous owner blamed old age.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not as far as I can tell. The younger ones I sold her a month ago are underweight compared to the ones hatched with them I still had. Propably due to improper diet of only cracked corn.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Not that I can see.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Nothing I know of. Onset of cooler weather only started a few nights ago and it's Florida so cool to us is only about 50°F
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Idk.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Idk.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have tylan 200 on hand but have not acted yet. Going to get out the Vet RX when I finish typing this.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Mainly I need to know what to do to figure out what's going on with her and tips on how to keep my flock across the yard healthy.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I'll get a picture of her and updated info on daylight.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They were in a chicken coop that only had laying boxes enclosed. Most of this flock sat on perches above a dirt run... It could have really used some cleaning....

Thank you.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Follow your instinct, you already know what to do. Cull and stock your freezer. Remember biosecurity. Disinfect their coop etc after culling.

BadBloodNelson likes this.
  4. BadBloodNelson

BadBloodNelson Chirping

Jun 19, 2019
    Florida
    Right now they are wayy across the field like an acre and a half away from my flock in an equipment shed that will be bleached and pressure washed along with it's contents after the matter is dealt with. Thank you. I just needed someone to tell me that my instincts were correct there..

dawg53 likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    You've invested heavily in YOUR large flocks, no need to risk their health over a couple questionable healthy or unhealthy birds, even if they used to belong to a friend.
    Even NPIP flocks might be infected with a disease as most states dont require testing for IB, MG/MS, Coryza, ILT and so on.

I think you already know that these diseases can be transmitted via your person, vehicle, shoes, clothing, tires, equipment etc ...from a contaminated area, or diseased birds to your otherwise healthy flock very easily. We read about this all the time in this section of the forum when someone forgets or unknowingly slips up or simply doesnt know better.
    The next thing you know their birds are sick and it's nothing but heartbreak and expense.
    Keep in mind that IB, Infectious Bronchitis, can travel in the wind over a half mile. I just wanted you to be aware of that. Biosecurity should be the #1 priority for all chicken owners.

6. BadBloodNelson

BadBloodNelson Chirping

Jun 19, 2019
    Florida
    Thanks again. The one barred rock who is rattling keeps getting trampled. She is 5 years old whereas most of this flock is much younger. Four of them came from my own incubator early this year then were sold to this person.

I am still clueless as to what kind of resp. issue it is. None of the others appear ill - at all. She appeared healthy when we got them. I only felt a slight rattle. Now shes weak.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The more I think about it the more I realize they were in the middle of a city of 21,000 people and were a block from a TSC store, a huge church, and a public school. There are bad drug problems in this area, although the physical yard was clean I've had to pull syringes out of my tires from driving in this area... sooo... hard to say what is around... They could have something spread from a neighbor, school kids, or someone who has frequented the nearby store. Diseases can travel on tires, shoes, clothes, ect.

The shed they are residing in is sealed. It is a comfortable temperature right now in Florida, thankfully. I have separate boots worn around them and strip naked immediately after leaving them, then wash. What is really difficult for me is that we have had a predator who recently got to most of my marans. These are the only birds left from that specific bloodline but I am just going to have to cut that loss and move on. Now i'm just trying to convince myself put on my big girl panties and deal with it. Ive never culled before..... :(

7. Muscovy Wunda

Muscovy Wunda Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Central West NSW Australia
    Sorry you're having to deal with this! It's never easy to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: