Pickin' and Peckin' on FRANCES

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CAChicklette, Oct 18, 2011.

1. CAChicklette

CAChicklette New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    I have a mixed flock of 11, which includes a docile Black Silkie rooster and an amorous but generally kind Golden Crested Polish Roo. I also have a golden crested female named Frances. Frances is not and has never been "all there" (she runs into things a lot, always a beat behind the other birds and I think she has a kind of narcolepsy) but until now, there haven't been any problems. NOW, they (don't know who exactly..but I suspect a large lt. brahma near the bottom of the pecking order and a RIR) pluck all her tail feathers out every time they're cooped up for a full day. I have a 6X8 coop with two decks, roosts and three nesting boxes (to the outside). They were raised all together and hadn't seen this bullying. To now..I've separated her and cleaned her up, have waited a few days till there's no sign of blood and try her back again. Unless I'm right there...they go after her.
    What else can I try???
    tks

1 Ameraucana, 2 lt. brahmas, 1 black silkie roo, 1 white silkie roo, golden crested polish hen, golden crested roo, 1 buff orpington, 1 RIR, 2 black australorps (recently sent 6 barred rocks to a friend's flock so I could downsize for these babies, who will lay in about 2 to 3 weeks)

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I've heard good things about a product called "pine tar" [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

3. CAChicklette

CAChicklette New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    So I put pine tar on Frances' tail end to dissuade the others from pecking it? Interesting..it'd go with her coloring!
    Thanks for the welcome. I'll post pix soon as I figure that out;-)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    they have this pine tar mixture from ur local farm store i use on mine that gets picked. it works great cost me 6 dollars

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by