pickin' chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lbidder114, Jan 27, 2013.

1. lbidder114

lbidder114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    Hi chicken folks, I picked up 2 barred rocks(I think) they were living in poor conditions and their feathers are really picked on. They are in a small coop away from my main flock. Every time I go in there to check their food or water the peck me like crazy! I have seen them peck each other too. Is this something they may grow out of or should I get rid of them? I don't want my kids getting pecked or my other chickens! Thank you!

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    If they where in a bad enviroment they may just be hurgary. Do you leave food out 24/7 for them. They see you as their provider and may want more food. Or they could just be happy to see you.

3. lbidder114

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    I have had them about a week, I give them crumbles, warm oatmeal and pasta, I hang lettuce in a suet feeder.. I feed them well so I'm hoping it will get better. I just want them to stop the feather picking. If they don't they can't go out with my main flock and I'll have to give them away.

4. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    A week isn't very long to adjust to new surroundings, especially coming from a bad situation IMHO. I would give them a while longer and make sure they are getting a little extra protein. I would also try hand feeding them a bit to see if they learn to react to you differently. If they were in a bad situation, the human interaction they had may not have been positive either.

5. lbidder114

Mar 11, 2012
    Hill , NH
    Thank you for the advice, I feel so bad for them. They will have such a good life here I hope they come around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by