Pickin' Chicks- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Texas Fluffy Feet, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    WooooHooooo!!!
    I am to the moment when I get to finally pick out my chickens! I have my plan for my tractor, I have my brooder box, I am going today to get all my little supplies, I just need to pick my chicks. I am running into a problem though and I imagine it is a common one so I bet someone here can help me.

I checked my city ordinance and it says no more than 4 chickens and no roosters. The number is fine with me, we just want them for pets and not a super egg supply. My problem is where is the best place to get 4 female baby chicks and no more?! I am in Arlinton Texas, no hatchery within 2 1/2 hours drive so I will have to have them shipped I guess. I have been looking and I see there is a supplier called My Pet Chicken. I have read both positive and negative on them. I read a few posts where they said the "females" were crowing. Ideal is the one 2 1/2 hours away and I see they sex them too, but they also add males for warmth in shipping which in my mind defeats the purpose of having Chicks sexed. I like their color choices better than My Pet Chickens though. Can someone help me figure out my options here? The only thing I can think of is to ask the feed store (who only gets in a straight run mixed assortment) if they will take extras off my hands and order a few more from Ideal to keep the boys out. I don't suppose by chance there is someone reading this who is here in town who wants to order a few girls from ideal to ship 3/12 is there? LOL Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Lots of people in TX post on this board...you might want to try the buy/sell/trade section and ask if anyone close to you will have around 4 young chicks or pullets to sell you when your setup is ready for them.....

3. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    [​IMG] Well I paid another visit to my local feed store and talked to someone who is in charge of ordering and they are going to get my bantam pullets for me! I am stoked! The great thing is I will have quite a few to pick from now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by