Picking a Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jay1105, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have 8 EE's that I bought from a local feed store. They were sold to me as pullets but I think they were straight run. I now have 4 roo's... I am trying to decide which one to keep and which to send off to freezer camp. What should I be looking for in a roo to look over my small flock? I have one I like because he is really pretty but from what I can tell by observing the roo's interact, he is kind of a whimp.

Any help would be appreciated [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello from Ohio! If I were you, I'd pick the best looking rooster. You might think he's wimpy, but since you have four roosters, he might not be the top dog. Alot of times, with multiple roosters, there is one in charge, and the others know their place in the pecking order and they don't crow much and seem kind of submissive. So, once you get rid of the others, that lucky rooster that gets to stay will assume that position of top dog.

That's just my opinion. Good luck and take care!

Sharon

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I would also add pick the friendliest one as well to help avoid the dreaded psycho rooster later. Very aggressive roosters can get a bit out of hand as they mature especially if you have children you want to avoid this.

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I second Chicmom... choose the prettiest roo and hopefully he will keep a "gentle" spirit

Shelly

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from The Mid-Ohio Valley, Ohio. I'd go for the handsome, gentler roo. I have one, cares for each one of his hens seperately, He is one of the BEST watch dogs I've ever had on duty! [​IMG]

6. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the input! I was leaning twards keeping "Johnny Cash" [​IMG] He will be happy to know the outcome. I will have to pull him aside to let him know, so there will be no retaliation from the others. lol [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:OMG! With a name like that, he's got to be the best rooster! LOVE IT! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by