picking a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by my3jsons, May 18, 2010.

1. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I know I have asked this before, but I'd like to revisit this question again with more detail and since they are older now. I have 3 barred rock roosters that are 10 weeks old. One is lanky and still bald in places. No one seems to like him and he is always laying down, like he is too tired to get up. The next one is the pretty guy. He just has that classic rooster look and shape. He doesn't seem to be very dominant, though. He doesn't want to be picked up but once I get him, he just sits there content. The last one is a fat headed rooster and seems more dominant. He is the first out and last in the coop. Last night he came out and looked around after all the girls went in, at least I think that is what he was doing. He goes after the treats and always gets them. But he bit me a couple of days ago and fights constantly if I do pick him up. Is that a bad sign? I really want the pretty one, but my husband thinks the best protector should get to stay. I can't keep 2 with 19 hens can I? I don't want the girls bald backed.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    A 1 to 10 ratio should be fine, if you want 2 roos. Just keep an eye out for fighting.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    IMO I wouldn't keep 2 roosters together for these reasons.

1. Depending on personalities they might/will have regular fights.
    2. All roosters are different and you might end up with bald hens-(the favorites)
    The rooster who bit you and is showing dominance is going to be a problem in the future. I would suggest not keep him.
    Keep the rooster who you like, get on with, know you can go into the coop without protection on and what are your best first interests.
    And your rooster will learn to protect his hens, and take good care of them as he matures. [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I agree with no agressive roos--perhaps you can keep the 1 nice one, and then let a hen raise up another roo next year. I have found my Patch is much nicer to his own offspring than random roos I hatch out.

Plus you can always make room for a second pen...

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:x 2 Which starts the chicken addiction [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Perhaps you can give Pretty Boy a trial as Head Rooster for a few weeks, put the other 2 in a separate pen away from the rest of the flock and see how things go with just this one rooster. The languid one doesn't sound good for anything but soup, and it's not worth keeping a rooster that is aggressive towards people. Especially since you have kids there. But if he only is aggressive when you pick him up, then... stop picking him up! A lot of chickens, male or female, just do not like that.

I like keeping roosters with my flock as long as they aren't aggressive towards people and look attractive. I don't depend on them to defend their hens, to fight something to the death in their defense. I just want them to be attentive and sound the alarm when something threatens.

My choice would be the mannerly & handsome one. He alone among 19 hens should be sufficient and wouldn't wear them out with his attentions. But if you keep the other one too, leave him alone to tend to his birdy business and don't provoke him by trying to handle him.

7. my3jsons

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    This is the story of when he bit me. I was feeding them all raisins out of my hand and petting them as the ate. I had just run out and reached out to pet him. When he realized I didn't have anymore, he bit me. It wasn't a peck. It hurt. I told him I was going to ring his neck!

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    All my roos are named "I am going to eat you" until they do something to earn another name like, "Stupid" or "A_hole" ----or if they get the stay of execution a manly-man name like "Sweetcheeks" or "Cinnabun"

9. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Remember your rooster is 50% of your flock, if his mother wasn't an excellent egg layer, or if he is aggressive, I would personally not keep him. His offspring will also be aggressive so that means you will never get rid of the problem. I only keep roosters that are easy going and out of hens that lay well ( as well as have other traits I want)

10. my3jsons

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:that is too funny! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by