Picking a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheRoundPen, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TheRoundPen

TheRoundPen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm new here :) and I'm hoping that this is in the right place.

I am going to be buying some chicks from Meyer Hatchery soon and had a question of picking out a rooster. Last November I got a Barred Rock rooster who attacked me last Sunday. I decided that he would be dinner because I can't keep a rooster who is going to attack, but before I could my dog got him.

Anyways, we've had a Black Langshan rooster who was awesome. Never once did he offer to attack and we could pick him up without a problem. I have no problem getting on of these when I order my chicks, but I was wondering about the Jersey Giant temperament is. If they aren't really aggressive and have a similar demeanor like the Langshan I would like to get it instead.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG]. I can't help with Jersey Giants temperment. I have two really nice BR that are even good when my young grand-daughter is hand feeding them with their hens so, you never know. I think you need to keep a eye on all intact male animals. Hope you pick a nice roo.

3. TheRoundPen

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks FGE. I know it will depend on the roo it self, but I've had bad luck with the smaller ones and I was hoping the BR would be good. My 8yr old got attacked by a roo when she was two and I don't want to have one attack my 4yr old now. So I'm just trying to do my research and find a mellower one.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Jersey Giants are loves, I don't think you'll be sorry at selecting that breed for your rooster.

5. If I were you I would get a cochin rooster they are super freindly!

6. TheRoundPen

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks guys. I just want to make sure I do some research.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Check out Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart at www.Ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I find it very useful when I get the Want More Chickens bug; I prefer to have half an idea about how well a breed might fit in with my varied, mixed, eclectic flock.

8. TheRoundPen

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks gryeyes! I think I have officially decided on what I'll be getting hen and rooster wise. That website is cool :)

9. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    What did you decide for a rooster? We had an aggressive Americauna rooster that we sold for $5 on Thursday. Today we lost our first hen to a predator...I'm definitely 2nd guessing our decision to get rid of him!! So I am curious which breed you picked. We've got a mix of 3 Old English bantams and 3 full size hens a White Leghorn, Tetra Tint & a Buff Orpington. I guess I'm in the market for another rooster - one that doesn't attack me or the kids!!

10. TheRoundPen

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm going to try the Jersey Giant for the rooster and I'm going to do the New Hampshire for the hens. We have a mix of hens currently, 3 buff orpintons, 4 ees, 1 red star, 1 black star, and then 2 that I don't know the breed of. I had the BR rooster along with another buff orpington hen that got killed by the dog last week. I want to get about 14 more hens as all but 4 of my current ones are older and have pretty much stopped laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by