Picking and Bloody Vents

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 8, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Tonight I came home late and discovered my best two layers with bloody vents. [​IMG] I took one out and put her in a separate cage and put blue kote on her back end. The other one isn't as bad, but I used blue cote on her too. One of my BRs has a ring of skin instead of feathers on her neck. I blue koted that.

Now, here are my questions:

1. They had been doing fine. The past few days, I ran out of feed and fed them scraps, feed bread, meat and vegetables. They still had some grain when it all was done, albeit not much. Did this cause the picking?

2. The rooster is getting pretty hard on the girls. I'm thinking maybe it's time for freezer camp. Could he have caused it?

3. What else might have caused this?

2. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Will get my vet to give me some info on this

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Update:

The birds made it through the night. I tried to put the injured chicken back in, but they started picking at her. The other one is trying to lay, but it hurts. [​IMG] Poor thing.

Looks like the really injured one got beaten up pretty bad. Not sure if her egg broke inside and she's too tender to do much. Have her in an isolation cage at the moment. May put her in the bigger dog crate and let her try to heal. Darn snarky birds. The more I learn about chickens, the more I'm thankful dinosaurs aren't around.

That's going to be my new sig.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by