Picking Bantam chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amgreen1980, May 9, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Ok, so we had one bantam chick given to us, who is now with our 6 other chickies. I am going to get Mabel ( the bald eagle chick:lol:) a few friends tomorrow. Question is, last time I was there, they just had one bucket that was full of all different colors and Im assuming breeds of bantams. Is there a type or color in particular I should look for? As in, a more desirable breed?

Here is Mabel... Not that they have to be the same kind, but I guess what Im asking is what is your favorite bantam and what would they look like as a chick? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    My favorite bantam breed is the silkie, they are the most friendly, docile, and sweet chickens! They have black skin, feathered legs, a walnut comb, and fluffy feathers that look like fur! Let me see if I can find a pic of them as an adult and baby.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    One of my favorites is the cochin bantams...they are the calmest and sweetest chickens I own!

Here are some pics!!

My barred cochins
    [​IMG]

And my red cochin...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. amgreen1980

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Quote:Mabel is a cochin. The silkie is SO cute! I just watched a video on about a silkie last night. It is kind of long, but a sweet story!

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Bantams are small, take the whole tub home.

6. Mentzer6

Mentzer6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    Mabel looks like a cochin bantam and is a cutie! I like the cochins, they come in lots of colors and who can resist those feathery legs? Cochins have really feathered legs, Silkie's will have dark skin, feathered legs and 5 toes. I guess I would have to say my favorite bantams are Cochins, Silkies and Mille Fleurs. I just love the color on the Mille Fleurs! Hope you get some neat ones, part of the fun is not knowing what you will find! [​IMG]

7. amgreen1980

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Quote:I SO want to! I told dh I planned on getting 2, but that makes 9 chickens total, and you know, you HAVE to have an even number! LOL Truthfully, he doesn't even look at them, I might be able to get away with 6 or 7! [​IMG]

8. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i have a pair of cochins/a oegb roo /2 silkies/blue polish and they are all pretty docil sweet birds my cochin hen is so sweet and docil and is prob my fav out of all of them i have a few more banties but these are the most docil

9. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    I Agree With The Others, I Love My Cochin Banty's , They Are Beautiful And Friendly, Get Broody Too, 1/2 Of My Flock Has Gone To Setting.. They Come In So Many Colors Too..

Like Some One Else Said Take The Whole Lot Of Them.. Hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by