1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

picking feathers and eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lisaleedy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    one of my hins has started picking feathers and eating... can you tell me why pissibly she is doing this?
    i just discoverd blood in coop floor under roost like might been in poo. i havent had the chance to look my girls over yet but any ideas what that could be from?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    There's a few things to think of here. Do they have enough room to move around? Whether in the coop/run or if you free range. What are you feeding them? Maybe they're lacking in a certain area such as protein. If you think there's blood in the poo it could be some kind of illness. How are you chickens acting (beyond the feather picker) are they eating, drinking, energetic? Have you ever wormed your chickens or checked them over for mites/lice?

3. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    va

i have a large lot they are in 50x40 and a coop 12L-4w with 6laying boxes and ony four or three are about 20weeks the others are 11weeks. i have started letting them out to free range some during the day. i have cracked corni toss every morning some wild bird seed on occation. i toss to me big girls while the little ones eat the growers feed. but leave that in bird feeder i keep fresh water out and i have a tray of grit with eggshells crushed and some oyster shell. i use DE in the coop and they have an ash pile they baith in theres been no lice sofar of the ones ive picked up. they have been acting like chickens... other than usual pecking order and roosters occational mating attempts of a younger hen that i had to go out and literaly break up. he chased her all around pad and when cought her he mounted but his wheight was a bit much for the poor thing she lay spralled out and squaking like she was being eat alive and he would try and mate every time she moved. other than that its a usual day unless i bring leftovers or bread out. now worming i have not gotten to. i am not sure what signs would be for the need for worming but i also give the apple cider vinagar on these colder days we have been having and last month gave them yogert. i heard pumkin and cucumber seeds can also be used as a dewormer.
    the only thing i can yhink of happening before all this was i noticed the dark green gelly like poo with the lack of a white spot that comes in poo so i added corid to their water that was last friday. but looking around after saw blood and seen it still in few places. so should i try some vinagar after putting clean fresh water and see if that will clear up the blood poo or use yogert?

4. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    when girls nap ill go check for a chicken maybe with poo trail on her butt.

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Your set up sounds great so I don't believe that's a problem. Good idea to see if you can spot the one with the poo problem. Maybe it's the feather culprit. Otherwise I know they make these things called peepers or something to help prevent pecking.

6. lisaleedy

lisaleedy Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    va
    i have narrowed it down to my older black jersey giants now to see what ones doing it... the pecking and grab her up to check

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: