1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picking Feathers and making them bleed and sores???? HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sugroxz, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I have babies that are around 6 or 7 weeks old that the other babies are picking their feathers out making them bleed and making sores.. What can I get to put on them to make them heal up and re-grow feathers.. I already removed the injured ones and put them by their selves.
    What would make the others do this? I make sure they always have feed & water in front of them. Make sure they get time to get out and run and spread their wings. Anyone know?? Suggestions???

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    There is this stuff called Rooster Booster No Peck...something like that...that I use. You have to use it regularly.
    It's generally a better idea to remove the chickens doing the pecking rather than the ones being pecked. When the culprit is then reintroduced to the flock they will be at the bottom of the pecking order and thus won't start out as the bully.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Yay Chicks! :

There is this stuff called Rooster Booster No Pick...something like that...that I use. You have to use it regularly.
    It's generally a better idea to remove the chickens doing the pecking rather than the ones being pecked. When you reintroduce them they will start out at the bottom of the pecking order which could be worse for the victims.

Thanks for your reply! Do you know where I could find that stuff at? I don't know excatly which one if doing the picking and just noticed it today with one came up to me.. Like to say look? LOL​

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Are there more than one breed of chick in one pen? Normally it isn't a problem unless one type is more athletic than the other, or has better vision (no feathers in it's face like silkies), or while they are the same age some are simply bigger.

If that's not it, the only other thing I can think of is that they are overcrowded. Make sure you are feeding a good balanced food.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I got it at the local feed store. Don't get it on your clothes! It stains, but they don't like the texture or taste.

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Turkey poults are really bad about picking each other as well as chicks. I use Vics Vapor Rub and put it on the sores and picked areas. One taste and the offender will try to wipe the nasty stuff out of his mouth!

It really works well if you do not have the anti- pick stuff on hand.

I also give mine cut up pieces of grass and a small pan of sand to fluff in.

They sometimes pick because they are confined and bored.

7. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am thinking that this might be my issue as well I just posted an eye injury but it really looks like he's missing a lot of feathers from that area can I put the no pick onto areas around his eye or would that hurt him more?

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x 2

9. danfan

danfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I use Blu-Cote, about the only thing I could get at my feed store & it works very well, like the no pick stuff I am sure.

When mine don't have much outdoor time, I give them things to keep down the boredom - like I throw in a large cabbage or pumpkin, something that takes hours and hours and days of pecking; hang up a seed ring; throw in crushed egg shells to pick at or weeds from the garden.
    I also have a kitty litter box with sand/ dry dirt for them to bathe to keep their feathers free of mites. They LOVE dust baths.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by