1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picking new Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alison Pony, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Alison Pony

Alison Pony Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    We will pick new chicks soon!!!! I need breeds that match all of this : showy birds, cold tolerant, good egg layer, and does well in captivity. Any suggestions ?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Look up Henderson's Chicken Chart, and feathersite, for ideas. We all develop favorites, and it's very individual. I like Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, Chanteclers, Welsummers, Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, and Australorps. Other people will have a different list entirely! Try a few birds of different breeds, and see what you like. Mary

3. Alison Pony

Alison Pony Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Do you know of any meat birds that don't just eat and poop

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Cornish Cross are the ones to avoid. Some people love them, i think you (like me) would hate them. I am going to try a variety of meat birds this year, Red ranger, Dixie Rainbow, Jersey Giant, Dark Cornish, and some cornish cross to make the husband happy.
    I have no first hand experience with these these breeds, but after a few months research this is what i settled on. I am planning to keep the females back to lay for next year.
    If you want a duel purpose bird with a ton of personality, you might consider the Barr Rock. They will be smaller then your more traditional meat bird and grow slower, but they get big. Mine also lay almost everyday.
    There are several duel purpose breeds you should consider, the other poster is right everyone had their favorites.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Cold tolerant: look for small combs (pea or rose). I prefer non feathered feet. It sounds like you may also want a breed that will go broody? For personality and likely broody, I prefer Dominique. I love their cuckoo feather patterning, and their feathers are super soft. They are extremely friendly. However, their body and egg size is on the small size. Got kids? Gotta have an EE or two. Don't have kids? Still gotta have those EE! Meat birds that are not CXR: Dixie Rainbow = Pioneer. They grow out very nice. I kept one back for a layer, and she was the first pullet that season to produce an egg. She continued to be a prolific layer of good sized eggs.

6. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    Dixie rainbows are great dual purpose birds! I've got one and she's huge! She also is an excellent layer, she just turned a year and layed solidly through the winter- 4-5 eggs a week.
    I think brahmas might be another that might interest you. They get big, are great in cold weather, and are decent layers, especially through the winter. Downside is they grow and mature slowly.
    Edited to add, I love my barred rock, but a meat bird she is not. I know everyone says they are dual purpose, but unless you buy from a heritage breeder don't expect them to get any size on them. Mine is an excellent layer (6-7eggs/week religiously), ridiculously friendly but weighs maybe 5 lbs at a year old.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by