1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picking on 1 Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gene22222222, Jul 1, 2016.

1. gene22222222

gene22222222 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    NewBrunswick Canada
    Hi I have 19 hens 1 year old and 1 rooster. About 6 months ago one of my hens cut her head on something. I treated it with antibiotic cream and it healed nicely and she seems normal, but the other chickens and rooster pick on her. Would anyone know the reason why? Also some of my chickens have lost feathers on their backs and they do not seem to grow back.Thanks for any Info.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How badly are they picking on her are they drawing blood? Is she the lowest in pecking order?
    Check her out thoroughly to see if she has any lice/mites, etc. Sometimes chickens can sense an illness and will pick on a sick chicken.
    Observe her behavior to see if there seems to be anything "off" about it.

The chickens that have lost feathers on their backs - check them over for any signs of lice/mites. Feather loss on the back can also be from mating (rooster treading) or feather picking/plucking from other flock members. Feathers will grow back when they molt. You may need to provide saddles (hen aprons) to those with the most feather damage to protect them from getting cut by rooster nails.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. gene22222222

gene22222222 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    NewBrunswick Canada
    Thank you so much for Info. I will keep an eye on things

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by