Picking out chicks - Can you tell personality?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FaithM, Nov 11, 2013.

1. FaithM

FaithM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    I'm going to be getting some chicks from a local feed store in the spring and was wondering if there's any way to tell if they're going to like handling when you just hold them at the feed store? Like do the docile ones screech less or flap/fidget less? I'm just hoping for very docile, friendly chickens.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I haven't been able to tell a difference, except that the "breed" difference is there. For example, silkie chicks are so mellow in my opinion compared to some other breeds' chicks. But I cannot tell which silkie chick will turn into the rooster that chases my kids, or the one who will be nice, for example.

3. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I don't think so. Mine were some of the calmer, easier to catch ones at the feed store and then proceeded to go completely insane when I got them home. :p I think it depends more on the breed and how hard you're willing to work at hand-taming them, how they will behave as adult birds.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    With my silkies when they are about 5 to 6 weeks old I can surely see personality. Sometimes even younger. If you want a generally mellow loving gentle type chicken get a silkie or silkies. They are easy to train and usually just plain sweet!!!They take to human contact well and make great pets! Not to mention how soft and cuddly they are! Mine will sit in my lap and purr when petted! Even the roosters are for the most part gentle and loving. They sell out pretty early so id call the store and see exactly when the first shipment comes in and the time so you can get some before they sell out. If your looking for a docile friendly chicken try the silkie breed!! You won't be disappointed. I was looking for the same a tributes and don't regret for a second that I choose the silkie breed. they are known as the lap kittens of chickens! You might considerbuying a silkie for their wonderful gentle personality. Hope this helps and best wishes

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    You know our silkie is not really particularly friendly. She eats out of your hand but no way you can pat her like some of the other chickens we have.

Agree with the rest above though. If you want friendly you are better off selecting from a known friendly breed rather than just any breed and a quite seeming chick.

Also the really quiet chick in a feed store could be that way due to health reasons as much as temperament. Same as you don't want to pick the puppy that just sits there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    True. I've been really lucky all the silkies I've ever had have been really loving! I agree, pick more for breed temperment than for chick behaviour. .

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. FaithM

FaithM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks for all the info, guys! I actually do really want a couple of silkies because they sound like a great breed. The only thing that makes me slightly wary is their super tiny eggs, but I can live with that if it means having friendly chickens! :)

8. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    To me, it seems they all vary so much- you just never know what you're going to get :)

My Light and Dark Brahmas were the friendliest out of the last chicks I got. My Silkie is very friendly too. I think they "choose you" rather than you "choosing them" ;)

9. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    I have a mix of standard and bantam size chicks. That way I get to enjoy the fun little breeds while still getting some big eggs too :)

10. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Even with the smaller type eggs (which are still delicious) I don't regret getting silkies for one second!! I wouldn't trade mine for anything!! Its just a matter of what YOU want and like and want. For me it wasn't so much about the eggs(although a few of my silkies kept up with the best of them when it came to laying) it was more about having a gentle pet with good temperment. I have heard some say their Silkies have been opposite of that but I've been fortunate with the flocks I've had they have all been very gentle and loving. Just decide what's important to you and reasearch the breeds. Then get what you feel will fit YOU and your family best. Everyone has different taste. What fit my family best was silkies. Just determine what's important to YOU then do some research on the breed then go for it!! I'm sure you will enjoy which ever breed you choose. I wish you the best of luck!! Do you know when you will be getting your flock?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by