1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Picking out chicks....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tallyho, Sep 19, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    The feed store is getting chicks next week including a breed that I would like. If I just happen to have to go there for something and if I walk over to the chick bins and can't resist [​IMG]...is there a good way to make sure I'm picking the girls. They will all be sexed but we know what that means. Is there something in general I should look for, stance, features, just to increase the odds? I'm sure many of you have seen a lot more chicks than I have.

Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    What breed are you thinking about? Might make a difference.

3. EricH

EricH Chirping

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    all the feeds stores in my area separate cockerels and pullets.... 95% of the time.

4. tallyho

tallyho Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    They will have light brahmas, mottled javas and wyandottes.

5. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Songster

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Here are my LB chicks in the first week.
    The first is a cockerel and the second is a pullet.
    In case it helps.
    It seems like LBs are one of the harder ones to sex.

cockerel:
    [​IMG]

pullet:
    [​IMG]

6. tallyho

tallyho Songster

Aug 24, 2010
    OMG! How can I resist? OK I'll study the pics and see if I can spot the differences. He has more of a devilish look. They should be sexed but ...

7. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Songster

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:These were sexed also. I got 10 chicks at that time, 2 LB, 2 RIR, 2 RSL, 2 EE and 2 BR. The LB was the only one that turned out to be a cockerel.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I can't help you with those breeds. There are some that you can get hints, like the barred rock males are sometimes a little lighter in color than the females, but even then it is not a sure thing.

The feed store probably gets them sexed from the hatchery, but even then it is not an absolute sure thing. The hatcheries only guarantee a 90% accuracy. Then if somebody at the feed store gets careless or a customer picks one up then puts it back in the wrong bin, they can get mixed. If things have been handled right, you should get almost all females. Here's hoping things have been handled right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by