Picking out new baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sisters Farms, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Sisters Farms

Sisters Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    we are going this week to pick out a couple of new baby chicks they are chocolate Orpingtons. Is there anything we should be looking for. Our other chickens were older when we got them so this will be our first time with babies. We have a Chocolate Orpington Rooster and are planning on breeding them

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Congrats! Pick chicks that are active and healthy looking, clean vents and breathing well. Look for straight toes and beaks that line up well and legs that are the correct color for the breed. Also you may notice that some of the chicks that are the same age have shorter wings and some longer this could help you guess what sex they are but, wing sexing is not a guarantee. Good Luck.

3. Sisters Farms

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    So on the wing sexing which is which. Thank you for the great info. We're so excited to get our baby Orpingtons

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Feather sexing can work if the breeding stock is selected for that trait. Ask the breeder if it works for that particular bloodline. Many birds don't feathersex reliably, so don't be surprised if yours can't be done. Mary

5. Sisters Farms

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    We finally got our new baby Chocolate Orpingtons and also got a cross breed Silie/Cochin. So excited. But don't know if they are male or female

6. SunnySky

SunnySky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    Washington State
    Can you post pics of the orpingtons? :)

7. Sisters Farms

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama

8. Sisters Farms

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    [​IMG]

9. SunnySky

SunnySky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    Washington State
    They're so cute! If I had to guess I'd say the one in the front is a cockerel and the one in the middle is a pullet. It's very early to tell though. It's been my experience in hatching Orpingtons that the cockerels develop a taller comb very early on. Post a side profile picture in a few more weeks and I can likely tell you with greater certainty. They are adorable though!! Congrats on your new acquisitions!! :)

10. Sisters Farms

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    Thank you so much. I'll repost in a few weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by