Picking-Pecking problem

Bearsfan

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Hannibal, MO
I am reintroducing a hen to the flock that was bloodied up on the head and had a cut comb. The comb is now healed and no more blood. She looked pretty good. She has been out of the flock for a month. So I let her out to semi-free range for the weekend and she was getting chased and hammered whenever she came into the group. She finally ended up not going near them and would run if the group came toward her. One or two of them were indifferent to her but the rest of them are really after her. The only way I can see to do this is to just see how she does in the coop. She is doing a lot of hiding in the coop and run. I feel bad for her but they seem to pretty much leave her alone if she hides behind the waterer or behind the nest box. If she comes out they will just corner her and start the ripping out of the feathers. She just faces the corner and takes it. That is hard to watch. I have put Vaseline on her and it seems to be helping a little. My Question is, how long does this usually go on for until she does not have to be terrified? She is not fighting back at all, she is obviously on the bottom of the order. How long does this go on until they are satisfied that she is on the bottom?

She isn't bleeding and doesn't have patches of missing feathers or anything, just some of her feathers are looking rough on her back.

Apparently it takes until about now. The others have started leaving her alone for about a day now. They may chase her for a second but will give up quickly. She also started laying a couple days ago, I wonder if that had something to do with it.

I just got an easter egger yesterday, 15 wk old, my other 3 15 wk old pullets did the same exact thing to her, it brought a tear to my eye seeing how they had her cornered, pecking at her head non stop and her tail feathers, poor pullet, i took her out, cleaned her because they pecked her eye lid a bit, now i have her in a cage with food and water inside with them but they cant get to her. i put a product called ROOSTER BOOSTER PECK NO MORE on her neck and tail feathers, its supposed to stop pecking and canibalizm, i hope it works.
But its good to hear that your hen is not being picked on anymore.

It took a while. I had applied and reapplied blue-kote until the top of her head, neck and back were covered and smeared Vaseline on her till she looked pathetic. The whole time I kept wondering if I was doing more harm than good. If I had one tip to give anyone at this point it is to make sure that there is some things that she can hide around or run around in the run/coop. I noticed that my hen was able to loose the attackers by hiding or continually winding around objects in the coop. (sometimes)

Edit for spelling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom