Picking Problem, Future Advice??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Griffin Nest, May 10, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    A few months ago, I hatched quail and they grew. After 2 months, the others began picking one of my male's back. It was horrible. One male began doing it, and soon the females did it as well. I took him out and treated his wounds until they were completely healed, and then I put him back. The females did not accept him and began picking at him some more, this time it was worse. I tried treating him, but a month later, he died . After he had died, I had already sold my other male. Now I have no males, and I want another one for my 2 females.

I have two questions: Why did they pick on him in the first place? and How can I introduce a new male?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The hens could have seen him as a weak one or he had a cut or gash (blood attracts them and they all start pecking). Or he just got injured to the point of death. Are you sure they are hens? Or a male in disguise that pecked him?

I usually put males in...It's usually adding females which is the problem in my case...the males love their ladies...

3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:oh thank you! yeah, i think he had flown upwards and hit hit head on the top of the cage or something. But even after he was fully healed they still picked on him. And yes, I'm sure they are females because their colors match and I've seen them both lay eggs.
    thanks

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The head bonking can do it. When you add a male, put all birds in a different enclosure, one that none are used to. That should help the introduction process.

5. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:yeah, but that's the only enclosure i have. i only have one cage for all of my adult quail, and i have no room for more cages. can i rearrange the cage to make it look different? there are plants and rocks in there that make the cage look nice and natural. its pretty big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by