Picking the best Dominique Cockeral - Pics Added; Deed is Done

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I have 5 Dominique roos that I hatched this Summer. I am wanting to cull 3 of them this weekend. I am not very familiar with what a "good" Dominique roo is supposed to look like. Could those of you that raise Dominiques please post some pics or give me some advise as to how to choose the keepers.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This roo had the spike "leader" on his comb dubbed off but other than that, he has excellent type.
37373_100_4437.jpg

Here's some pics

Roo #1 - That is a Dominique hen behind him. Is that the way they should look?
16513_r001.jpg

Roo #2
16513_r002.jpg

Roo #3
16513_roo3.jpg

What do you think? Just remember, you are choosing which ones live. I'm pretty sure #3 has the wrong type comb. I didn't get pics of the other 2.

Last edited:
Well The bird in the 3rd pic. has a single comb so he is not a good Dom..
Out of the other 2 I would say the bird in the second pic. is the better one.. He has more over all even color, better comb, neater one has a very good tail or type and I do see 2 black feathers in the second birds tail and that isn't good..
Where did you get them from? They look to be a cross of a Dom. and a Barred Rock...
That is my opinion..

Chris

Roo #3 does look like a Barred Rock, but it is possilbe that he can be a single combed sport, but he shouldn't be used for breeding.

I vote for roo #2, However the hen behind him doesn't look right at all to me, she looks like she is a really dark cuckoo color and possibly a mix. Can you get some closer pics of your hens?

Roo #3 and two of his brothers(not pictured) made their way to freezer camp yesterday. I gave the other two clemency, as I thought I should wait to do them. #3 dressed out nicely. Breast was okay size and leg quarters where nice. I didn't weigh him yet, but I would guess between 4 and 5 pounds. We'll find out how good he tastes sometime this week.

The eggs I hatched these from were given to me as a bonus on an order of Barnevelder eggs. I really didn't have any desire to keep Dominiques, but they are neat birds. The hen referenced above came from these eggs as well. I know she doesn't look right, but I'm not too worried about it right now. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her and two sisters. I guess I'll just keep them around for eating eggs.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom