picking the right cockerel

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by albird101, Jan 25, 2015.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    My cockerels are 4.5 months today and it's time they start to go to homes, I started with 5 but sold the other 2 because they were to skitish and they dident live up to my expectations, [​IMG] [​IMG] This is nugget, he's the biggest fattest easter egger that I have, he has a big pea comb, and a huge beard he's standoffish but he tends to stay away from me, he just started crowing and has a full nice crow so far, today he chased a crow all over the yard and a bout a week ago flogged my dog (no one got hurt). Also another thing that I did like is when I picked up the hen and she started screaming he came running and raised his hackle feathers at me to give me a warning, he's 2nd to top of the pecking order

[​IMG] [​IMG] This is coco, he's the top rooster, but the smallest and he's always crowing his head off, he's not stand offish but he will confront me if his hens start to scream when I pick them up, he's scared to death of my dog and dosent find crows any danger but he's overall a pretty good rooster

[​IMG] [​IMG] This is no name he's super aggressive towards other animals and flogged me once but I quickly out him in his place overall he's a really nice color full bird but he dosent let his hens close until he had his finish of food but he guards them well over all

So who do you guys think shoula stay? So far I only have 3 hens but I have 14 easter egger pullet chicks that Im waiting for to grow, so hopefully it'll be 15 hens and a lucky rooster

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I like the first one he sounds like he would be best at protecting your hens!![​IMG]

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree. The first one, Nugget, sounds like he would be your best bet.

They are all gorgeous though!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I would likely pick the first bird. You don't want an overly aggressive rooster that will make it hard to enjoy your hens.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Nugget sounds like your best rooster to me, but all of them are beautiful birds! I would definitely not keep the last one--aggressive roosters are no fun, and are dangerous to both people and hens.

7. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    I picked nugget but I still don't want to get rid of Coco, do you think 2 roosters for 15-18 hens is sufficient for both the roosters and the hens

8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Yeah that is about perfect for two roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by