Picking the right meat bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by UBkevy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I am thinking of buying more chickens come spring. However I do not need the custamery 25 that hatcheries request. There for I am thinking of getting 15 that I would keep for eggs and get 10 or more to slaughter. Now here is the problem I have 12 egg layers I am looking to remove from the flock. But I would want to slaughter or sell these birds in the fall (to still have eggs while the new ones grow). What would be the breed I would want that I could order in the spring say march and would survive and be of a good size by september? From what I understand most meat birds would be long dead by then.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Delewares & White Rocks are good choices in your case, IMO.

AL

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Buckeyes would be what I recommend. If you're considering keeping them from March-September, most of the true dual-purpose breeds will be good butchering size in that amount of time. The reason I say true dual-purpose is because I've seen many hatcheries advertise some breeds as dual-purpose when they really aren't. Dels and WR would be good choices. Other choices I can think of: Buff Orps, Dominiques, Speckled Sussex, Austolorps, Marans, Dark Cornish and possibly Brahmas (I think at about 6-7 months Brahmas hit their growth spurt). If you look at my signature, you'll see that's how I have picked the breeds I have.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    would you go with males and if so will they be of butchering size before they crow?

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    We are raising Dark Cornish for the purposes you describe. They were the meat bird of choice before the advent of the super hybrids. They breed true, lay fine, and have good breast meat.

And in their case it doesn't much matter about gender, since both sexes are built basically the same. The roos are a little bigger, but basically the same shape. So, you keep as many hens as you want and butcher the rest along with the cockerels.

I understand Buckeyes have Cornish in their history, but I don't know how strong an influence it is now days.

6. j.luetkemeyer

j.luetkemeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    My buckeyes show the broader thicker breasts that I believe orginated from the Cornish genetics. Excellent true dual purpose breed.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Here is a few picture of a dressed Buckeye.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

These pictures are from the Yahoo Buckeye Breeders Club photo albums, not mine.

The ones I have culled looked similiar. I was impressed not only with the breast, but with the leg quarters. The whole overall shape and size resembled a Cornish. I have butchered other dual purpose breeds, and the leg quarters were undelveloped compared to the Buckeye. My family prefers the leg quarters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by