Picking up chicks and cold temps

Bruins

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Frederick Co, MD
I am supposed to get my chicks this week .I am getting them from a local feed store so no shipping involved .
Since it is supposed to be 0 on the pick up day I thought I would put some hand warmers wrapped in towels in the small animal box
( the kind you get hamsters / g-pigs in from petco) that I am transporting them in . Along with a heating pad for under the box and the heat in my van .

Does this sound like it will be o.k. for the chicks until I get them home and put them in the brooder?

How many chicks are you picking up? How far do you have to travel? If it is not far then they may only need one if any. I am sure with the temp being 0 you will be running the heater in the car.
wink.png

20 minutes is a rather short time, the box will be small. I would go with one hand warmer in there.
I am looking forward to getting mine in a few weeks. I will be driving about 100 miles each way to get them. I will have to make a second trip the following week for the others.
I am going to be using the hand warmers too. I have a very congested metropolis to drive the entire way through so I am concerned since my drive could take HOURS.
I do think one should suffice in your instance though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom