Picking Up Chicks in the Morning!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniemig, Feb 7, 2014.

1. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I spent the afternoon setting up the brooder for my girls. I was planning on using a large wire dog kennel or making a wooden brooder, but ended up having to settle with a giant Rubbermade tote. The dog kennel didn't work out because I couldn't keep the temperature high enough, even with the sides enclosed with cardboard. I just didn't have time to build the wooden one, so the totes will do. I was also planning to use a heating pad instead of heat light, but that didn't provide anywhere near enough heat. Luckily I did a dry run, otherwise I would have been scrambling to keep my chicks warm.

I set up my heat light and ran it for 5 hours adjusting the height as I needed until I got to the right temp for a couple of hours. In its current position the thermometer fluctuates between 95-99 degrees. I am so glad that I bought the thermometer. At first I used my hand under the light and what felt OK to me was actually 110 degrees. Half of the brooder is heated, then has a cooler side that hovers between 75-80 degrees. I am using puppy pads for the flooring rather than shavings, seems easier to clean. I have ducklings coming on Tuesday, so I made an identical brooder right beside the one for the chicks. I also made 4 nipple waterers out of recycled 20oz. soda bottles. Now I just need to figure out how to hang them. I tried a coat hanger but that didn't work.

My costs stayed pretty low.
    tote was $14.00
    clamp lite $7.00
    125 watt heat bulb $8.00
    puppy pads (100 pack) $23.00
    nipples $2.00
    digital thermometer $8.00

So for about $62 I was able to make a decent brooder. All I need to pick up is a chick and duck feeder and we're ready to go!

I have decided that I am going to use medicated chick crumbles for the chicks, and non-medicated for the ducklings. After doing tons of reading it seems like my safest option. I will also be using Save-A-Chick in their water, not sure how long though...

I hope that my set up and planning are up to par. PLEASE, if I've missed something or have something wrong let me know!

Note: Once they outgrow the totes I have 2 large Play Yards (18 sq. ft. each) for them set up in the garage.

2. MamaKitty913

MamaKitty913 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2013
    Northrenbornlanow
    Don't forget if you have had your chicks vaccinated against coccidosis that you should NOT give them medicated chick feed, as it "cancels" out the vaccination.

1 person likes this.
  3. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am buying them from the local feed store. I called and asked if they were vaccinated, they said they were not. I will be sure to ask again in the morning. Thanks Mamakitty[​IMG]

4. Looks like you are all ready for the chicks. [​IMG]

5. MamaKitty913

MamaKitty913 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2013
    Northrenbornlanow
    You are welcome! There is so much information in all the "books" but McMurry had a little itty bitty paragraph about it in the catalog! And so I thought I'd share.

6. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Cool! You are doing awesome!! [​IMG]

7. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ok, the girls are HOME[​IMG]

We ended up getting 8. They've all been pigging out and are now napping. They are little pooping machines! Luckily it's firm tiny poops so far. I have been working with the nipple waterer, but no luck getting them to drink yet. I asked for 6 Golden Sex Links, but I am wondering if they gave me RIR's instead. Can anyone tell from the picks? The little bright yellow one, which my 4 year old niece picked, is supposed to be a Buff Orphington (sp), and the other is an unknown, my 7 year old niece picked out, they just said it was a "heavy layer". Can anyone tell me what they are?

[​IMG]
    This little cutie is supposed to be a GSL.

[​IMG]
    This is my little yoga birdie, this is called downward facing chick.
    [​IMG]
    This one loves to sprawl...
    [​IMG]
    The chick on the right is the unknown "heavy layer"
    [​IMG]
    This is supposed to be the Buff.

8. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    [​IMG]
    This is a close up of the unknown chick
    [​IMG]
    This is the GSL

9. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    The unknown chick looks like a RIR

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cute....100 degrees might be a little too warm.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by