1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picking up chicks stories?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by achickschirp, Mar 24, 2013.

1. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    just thought it would be fun to read other people stories of adopting their chicks?whether you picked them out online or a store... Also if you don't mind please put how they are doing now

2. mattyj198

mattyj198 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    I found mine on Kijiji. I have actually been trying for years to find chicks. I only wanted 2 of them but no one would offer less then 10, 20 or 50. I finally found this girl selling silky chicks and she would sell small amounts. The day they hatched I drove 2 hours to get them. The family was wonderful and very friendly. She explained how to care for them and I was on my way.

They are doing fine. Very healthy (i assume) They eat lots and they love to run. They are a week old today.

3. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Thanks! i just love to read these!

4. chickenbaby9194

chickenbaby9194 Out Of The Brooder

I got my chick from a place called The Mill. I chose her because when I looked down in the cage she looked like she wanted to come home with me. So I got her and named her Baby. She is two weeks old today and is the sweetest thing. When she sits on my lap she crawls up my chest and plays in my hair. Also when I put her on the floor and I walk away she follows me. It's adorable! I love her so much!!

5. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    thats adorable!!!! By the way she might be a he because most of hatcheries and sellers can't tell, many people had thought they got girl but ended up with a rooster....

6. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    I have a chick who insists on climbing up to my shoulder. She will hunker down and stay up there while I walk around. She's also my cutest, she's a frizzle. I have managed to get 11 chicks from 3 different places. My first 3 came from a first time hatcher and I picked out the ones with the feathered feet. The next two came from an ameraucanas breeder. The last 6 I found on CL, they were shipped up from Mt. Healthy. All are doing just fine, except one of the first ones. She started with wry leg that I could not get to straighten out, even with braces. Then started developing shakes and then seizures. I finally put her down last night. Her sisters actually spent part of the night looking for her. It was sad. But the others eat constantly, run around the brooder, bump chests, and try to fly to the top of the box everytime I open it.

7. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    thats sad, but at least she's not suffering... Usually the ones with crippled legs are great house pets! I'm sorry about that chick. R.I.P

8. chickenbaby9194

chickenbaby9194 Out Of The Brooder

Haha yeah, the place said 90% ate female so I'm hoping for a female!

9. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    hope you're lucky! I want a hen too! I want two hens and one rooster

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by