Picking up my chickens tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by OcoeeG, Nov 3, 2008.

1. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    My girlfriend and I live in North Georgia, about 15 minutes from Chattanooga. We have both always wanted to get chickens, so we are doing it. I converted and old outbuilding into a coop, finishing up the run. We are starting with 5 Rhode Island Reds; 4 hens and one roo. Very excited. I will post some pictures and let you all know how it goes.

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    [​IMG]

Hope everything turns out well for you!!!

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

4. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    How exciting. Enjoy the new chicks. [​IMG] Post lots of pics.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is a great number to start out with - good choice!

6. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    I'm OcoeeG's girlfriend. We just picked up our chickens yesterday, and they are happily adapting.

Chris did a great job building the coop and run, and they are definitely some spoiled spoiled chicks![​IMG]

When will they start laying eggs?

[​IMG]

7. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Do you know how old the the are? My RIR's started laying between 20 and 24 weeks. If the are older hens then they may need to get settled and comfortable before they start laying again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats, neighbor! I'm about an hour and a half from Chattanooga in Fannin County, Ga.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats on your new chickens! As for when they will start laying eggs, that really all depends on several things. How old they are now and them adapting to their new place (many laying hens will quit laying for a while until they adapt to their new environment and home). If they are still chicks, then they should start laying anywhere from 18 to 24 wks. old. I had one RIR that started laying at 18 wks. old and other that didn't lay until the were 24 wks. old. It really just depends on the hen.

[​IMG] , both of you! [​IMG]

10. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Two of them are 20 weeks old and two are around 24 weeks old, so hopefully soon they'll start laying!

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by