Picking up my quail chicks tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenshet, Mar 16, 2012.

1. chickenshet

chickenshet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    Tomorrow, I'm heading about an hour away to pick up 4 breeds of Coturnix (Tiebetains dark and light, brown, A&E) - 8 total. My hopes are to keep one male and 3-4 females. Do you think this is enough to end up with that ratio and sell/eat the extra males? Also, when do you think I will need to be done with their hutch? I have a brooding box that they'll live in for at least the next week or two, but I definitely need to get started on building their hutch for sure. I'm so excited!

2. Garrisonkidsduo2

Garrisonkidsduo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    I get to pick up my Texas A&M white quail tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait until then. I am new to quail, I have some hatching out but a few have died before getting out and now I have 2 more coming out. These are already out and should be laying soon so.

3. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    IF YOU HAVE ONLY 3 FEMALES, YOUR RAISING AND SELLING ARE GOING TO BE SLOW...YOU WILL ONLY GET 3 EGGS AT BEST A DAY OR 21 A WEEK,,,,I BELIEVE THAT FERTILITY DECLINES IN THE EGG AFTER 4 DAYS UNLESS KEPT IN AN IDEAL ENVIRONMENT. THIS SEEMS REALLY SMALL SCALE TO ME TO PLAN ON SELLING AND EATING, JUST MY THOUGHTS WITH MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY OWN QUAIL MAYBE OTHERS WILL GIVE THEIR VIEWS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

4. Garrisonkidsduo2

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    I don't plan on selling any of them. I figure for now i can always hatch out more and keep more females but just to start with that is all I can afford and a male and female will reproduce and end up with more females. We raise all our own food so all our beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and this year duck ( we have never tried duck so it is new to us ) and now quail. We have a goat for milk as soon as I get her breed.

5. Garrisonkidsduo2

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    We also hatch out all of our birds so we don't have to buy any.

6. Garrisonkidsduo2

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    Well I had a quail hatch out and two died after the pip holes, I went Saturday to pick up some Quail but the lady never showed up so tomorrow morning I go pick up 20 baby quail from another lady, about 30 minutes away from home. This one should come through for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by