Picking up older chickens

Jun 1, 2018
Savannah GA
My chickens are not laying but very close. We raised 2 from chicks but some of them we got older. They all run from me. Now that we let them out in the yard all day I really can't catch them. I want them to like me and I sit with them every night. They get plenty of treats but even mealworms don't tempt them. Any sugestions?

Let them be and don't chase them or rush them as this will deepen their fear of you. As they are young yet, their hormones will be all over the place; I find that as they get older they get far more bold and daring, as well as over time, learning to associate you with food. I don't pick mine up unless they look like they need some first-aid or for a quick health-check, but some will come up to have their chins tickled and I have a few that will actively hop up onto my knee or hand, which is enough affection for me, and more worthwhile in that they have done so of their own accord.

Patience....go out without treats they can’t see (in your pocket) get a chair in the shade and just talk to them or while you’re reading or on your iPhone. They are inquisitive. One will hang around (start with that one) pickup and hold her sweet talk and stroke her. Reward her AFTER. It takes time to build trust. They will learn. You might have one that wants no part of it. I do but I still work with her because being able to “inspect” them is very important to their health. I wish you best of luck. :frow

Chasing them will increase their fear and not help at all.
Just wander out there, do the feeders and waterers, and sometimes call them while tossing out a few treats. Then just sit around and be there.
Some individuals may decide to visit up close, and others will watch from further away, and that's fine. Enjoy their antics, and don't look for cuddly puppy or kitten behavior, because that's not who most of them are, or will ever be.
Enjoy them as chickens!
If you have some who enjoy being handled or stroked, that's great too.
Speckled Sussex hens tend to be very social/ interactive!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom