1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Peterb05

Peterb05 New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    I have only been keeping chickens since the spring of last year. I have 11 and they have been very healthy and still are laying lots of eggs. They are well kept in a large coop and have a large run. I feed, water and clean the coop regulaly. Two weeks ago I noticed that a couple of them were missing some feathers on there belly and now its gotten much worse. All of them seem to be missing lots of feathers ? in the same areas. Belly and back to the vent. I dint see any blood. I have noticed them pecking at each other. Is this normal ? I am thinking NOT What can I do to get my girls looking better? I live in Mass and its been cold so I dont think it could be mites or Fleas ? And the only think I have changesd is the sand in the run about 7 weeks ago.
    Please give me your thoughts.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens are pretty warm so can keep lice and mites active through winter.

What is the protein content of the feed and what else is fed other than layer feed?
    I'm assuming the feed is 16% protein. If scratch or veggies are fed, that can lower the overall protein makeup.
    Feathers are 93% protein and sometimes feather picking can indicate a need for additional animal protein sources.

3. Peterb05

Peterb05 New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Yes its 16% I also feed meat and veggee scraps & sunflower seeds several times a week.
    I also added Tenacious Earth to the run, should I put some in the coop with the pine shavings ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by