Pickled egg recipes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mac in Wisco, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Who has some good pickled egg recipes?

I like them with white vingar and onions. I tried a batch with cider vinegar, cloves, and cinammon a while back, but didn't care for them.

I have some chiles in the garden that I'd like to try with white vinegar and onions, but I don't know how to prepare them. Do I need to peel them and throw them in or just slit them and use the way they are, or peel and slice like a jalapeno? Dry them first? Any ideas?

2. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Just wanted to give you a free bump [​IMG]

I've been loking for a good recipe, as well.

Jess

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I've looked around the web for pickled egg recipes with chiles and most just say "add a can of chiles". A few said to add a couple of dried chiles, so I guess I could dry them first, but I am wondering if it's even necessary to dry them or just throw them in there with a couple of slits to let the vinegar in.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Mac.....I dont kow how to "pickle eggs" But I just pulled a few beets the other day....cleaned, boiled, peeled....then added vinegar, cloves, and sugar....to taste. ( Was just enough beets for DH and my for dinner) Set them in the fridge....then later added a few peeled hard boiled eggs. I like to let them set in the fridge over night...get GOOD and cold. They were yummy!

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I guess nobody here eats pickled eggs...

Hard boil a dozen eggs and peel, put eggs in wide mouth
    quart jar alone or with sliced onions, beets, peppers, etc.

Boil 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water along with whatever spices you desire; allspice, mustard, dill, cloves, salt, sugar, cinammon, tabasco, etc.

Pour pickling juice over eggs in jar. Refrigerate for a week or two and then dig in. I'll eat them whole or slice for a sandwich.

You can use straight vinegar, but the eggs tend to get rubbery faster. Some people say to let the pickling solution cool first because the hot solution can make the eggs rubbery. I pour it into the jar hot and seal with a lid and ring.

6. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My husband calls pickled eggs man's food! [​IMG]
    I'll ask my chef friend and get back to you! She was telling me she'd share her recipe with me when I start giving eggs to HER! Couple weeks yet! 18 week old EE are getting close I think!
    I found this HUGE Ball wire topped canning jar at the feed store; its 2 gallons! My husband is so excited to start filling that with pickled eggs! I don't much like them; but he can eat them morning noon and night! Man's Food I tell ya!
    [​IMG]

7. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:Im not trying to hijack the thread but I wanted to ask Justusnak a question..
    I pickled beets with the packaged stuff I got at wal mart, way to sweet.. I didnt care for it.. does this recipe have the same taste or no?? I love pickled beets but not that recipe.. Im pretty sure we ruined our whole crop of beets with it..Does anyone here know how to pickle corn?? yum.. I cant find a recipe for it....

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    An easy way to make pickled eggs. Buy a jar of your favorite pickles, eat all the pickles. Place boiled, de-shelled eggs in jar. Wait 2 or 3 days. Eat pickled eggs. Yummy. [​IMG]

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Wait till he eats about a dozen MAN SMELLS I tell Ya, I hope with two gallons you have a seperate bedroom

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:better yet buy a jar of pickled sausage(HOT of course) and let them soak in that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by