Pickled Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Adopted Chickenman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    [​IMG] Does anyone have a good to great recipe for pickled eggs? I am partial to the red beet juice color but I would also use a non-beet juice recipe. Maybe even something with a little kick! Can anyone help?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I will bump this.... I want a good recipe too!

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    There are several recipes with the beet juice under titles about pickling quail eggs. I finally did it and pickled some this morning. I used 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 water. I put salt to taste in each jar instead of in the vinegar solution, used a little more than the 1/2 tsp per pint that you can veggies with. I put 1 clove of garlic, sliced jalapeno peppers, slivers of red pepper for color, whole peppercorns, dill weed and dill seed, celery seed and mustard seed in each jar. I did some of that as much for color and texture as much as taste. They look good but it's too soon to try them yet.

The only thing I would do different since they were quail eggs is do it on a Sat. and invite select grandchildren to help with the egg peeling part. I'd choose the boy with proven talent in this field and the girl who is a primary consumer of eggs..(or maybe not her, she'd have a hard time leaving enough to pickle).

Good luck on you search, hope we both come up with something yummy.

4. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    Thank you for your input. I will have to look in the pickled quail egg section I guess to see if I can find a good recipe. My pullet eggs are the perfect size for pickling.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi! Those eggs look great!
    Question..
    So you pour the warm liquid over the warm eggs...cap it right away.... and put it still warm in the fridge? or do you let it cool before you cap and place in the fridge?
    Just wondering..so i dont screw them up... lol
    thanks!

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Sometimes warm into the fridge, sometimes not, sometimes I get distracted while peeling the eggs and forget about it for an hour. Turns out well every time. I've even just poured room temp vinegar over the warm eggs and tossed in the fridge, just let them sit for a couple days extra.

Did 4.5 dozen a couple of weeks ago all at once and didn't have enough cider vinegar to fill all the jars so I topped off with regular distilled. Tastes a little different but still yummy!

These don't last long enough around here to worry too much [​IMG] So far our favorite has been the onion flakes/celery seed mix and the dill seed/celery seed mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by