Pickles1964

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pickles1964, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Pickles1964

Pickles1964 New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Hello, I'd like to start by introducing myself and how I stumbled across this site.
    I am a fairly new transplant resident to Canyon Lake, Tx which is about 45 miles north of San Antonio, Tx since March 2016. And just prior to moving here, we lived in San Antonio for 6 months until we located where we planned ahead to where we wanted to retire.
    But, we have always been Texans living most of our lives about 45 to 50 miles north of Houston, TX. We have 3 children of which 2 are over 30 and our youngest is 15 and in his 1st yr of High School. So, as we near our empty nest period we are trying to get our debts paid off and also prepare to have Our new house built hopefully within this year sometime on the land we purchased on 12/30/16 about five minutes from where we are living as renters.
    And, I am getting closers to the time where I really want to start sewing, with my new sewing machine that my husband bought me back 3 Christmases back and I have been hesitant to open and use until we get completely settled. But, I am curious about attempting to sew a quilt without and prior knowledge.
    And, as I came across this site, I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on how to get started.
    Example, does anyone have any ideas on squares of material and do any of the members exchange material?
    I welcome all the advice and suggestions.
    Thx
    Donna aka Pickles1964

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Donna

Glad you could join us here! What a lovely intro and I've really enjoyed getting to know more about you. I hope your house build goes well. I'm afraid I don't sew but I'm sure if you pop by our hobbies section you will get lots of help ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/41/hobbies

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Looks like you're going to have a busy year coming up. Look for Block Swaps in the Hobbies section, those seem to happen regularly.

Good luck with all your plans!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Donna, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Donna [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, Donna, welcome to BYC, so glad you've joined us! Love your username. There are several members here who enjoy sewing and quilting.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Donna, lots of chicken folks do quilting. You might put "quilters," in the search box above, and see what comes up.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by