Pickling jar choice question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I wanted to ask this to the group. It IS related to gardening because of learning how to store what you garden.

When I'm looking at pickling jars both plastic and glass jars both have pros and cons. And I want to ask what you think of both of them?

It feels like glass jars are better in a lot of ways....except that glass breaks easy.

Plastic degrades in the sun. Also it collects debris and gets stained easy. But the only real pro about plastic is that it wouldn't break in turbulence, like moving, earthquakes, falls,, etc.

So this basically means that its hard to tell which would be better.

My mom and grandma used mason jars for forever. And they still do. They can last awhile in some cases.

But they have drawbacks also because of being easy to break.

But for the others new to canning your produce, or chicken eggs, or whatever pickling has HUGE advantages! I'd found this out recently especially because our stove has a few issues. It works, and we could replace it any time except we were trying to stretch the pennies before getting the new one. Two of the four ranges work. But we noticed that if you have any instability in heating units, or can't use a normal electric stove canning is almost impossible! You need to be able to heat up not just high temperature but high temperature fast in order to do stuff like canning.

But pickling you can get away with not even having a stove in many cases. So I hope to also encourage the rest of you about this.

So I wanted to ask this to the group. It IS related to gardening because of learning how to store what you garden.

When I'm looking at pickling jars both plastic and glass jars both have pros and cons. And I want to ask what you think of both of them?

It feels like glass jars are better in a lot of ways....except that glass breaks easy.

Plastic degrades in the sun. Also it collects debris and gets stained easy. But the only real pro about plastic is that it wouldn't break in turbulence, like moving, earthquakes, falls,, etc.

So this basically means that its hard to tell which would be better.

My mom and grandma used mason jars for forever. And they still do. They can last awhile in some cases.

But they have drawbacks also because of being easy to break.

But for the others new to canning your produce, or chicken eggs, or whatever pickling has HUGE advantages! I'd found this out recently especially because our stove has a few issues. It works, and we could replace it any time except we were trying to stretch the pennies before getting the new one. Two of the four ranges work. But we noticed that if you have any instability in heating units, or can't use a normal electric stove canning is almost impossible! You need to be able to heat up not just high temperature but high temperature fast in order to do stuff like canning.

But pickling you can get away with not even having a stove in many cases. So I hope to also encourage the rest of you about this.
I like your mom and grandma I have always used Mason jars for all my pickling canning needs we have a shelf i built especially for my canned food Mason jars it is bolted to the wall and floor and has shelves with fronts on them so the jars do not slide forward or get bumped plastic is grose to can stuff in in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom