1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pickling quail eggs....??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Aug 4, 2014.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ok.. first off.. it heck to peel a boiled quail egg... it just dont work out well... how in the heck do they get the shells off quail eggs to pickle them... all the jars of pickled eggs, the boiled eggs are all still in perfect shape....

right now we are trying just soaking them in vinegar... its working too... i just dont know if this is the best way or how to go about doing it....

2. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I don't know about quail eggs, but chicken eggs peel much better when you boil the water THEN put the eggs into it.

3. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    It also helps if your eggs aren't all that fresh, like a week old or so. That gives the membrane a little time to dry out making them easier to peel, imo.
    A week old or so, before you boil them, just so no misunderstanding.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. Lollypop

Lollypop Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Not sure about quail but chicken eggs I boil them and then put them directly in iced water. Works every time.

What recipes of folks use when pickling quail eggs. I've eaten a ton in my life but never pickled them.

5. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I tried the boil-the-water-first method with eggs less than 24hours old. worked great.

6. Brohnson

Brohnson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    The only time I ever had a time peeling the eggs was when I took them out of the ice water and the eggs had time to dry a little... very frustrating. So now I always put the eggs directly into a ice bath after boiling for 10 minutes than I leave them in the ice bath and I start peeling one at a time after the ten minutes keeping the rest of them in the ice bath, seems to work great for me when they are still very wet and cold to peel. I make pickled eggs weekly [​IMG][​IMG]

7. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Rice Country, CA
    This is the only way to boil your quail eggs and a little stir helps to center the yoke.

8. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well ive tried the soaking in vinegar.... and its amazing... all the shell is gone, then you just pull off the membranes... easy breezy...

9. Dragons4u

Dragons4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Dang it, now I'm going to have to pickle some for my wife. She wants some after seeing this thread and a couple others.

10. Lollypop

Lollypop Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by