Picky chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ducclelover10, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

I have a d'Uccle that is very picky. She won't eat tons of different treats we try to give her, she won't even eat chicken feed.
    And after A while of feeding her a certain food she gets tired of it and won't eat it any more. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I'm worried she's gonna eventually starve herself! Any ideas on what to do? If I just stop feeding her she won't go eat feed on her own, another chicken we have won't let her eat.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Most smaller breeds don't eat very much as chicks. For the first few weeks it really is minimal. You should be providing feed for the D'uccle 24/7. A healthy chick will eat when they are hungry. They need water as well. If the chick is not healthy then keep your fingers crossed and watch and attend as needed.

3. Ducclelover10

Actually, sorry, I didn't make that clear, my little d'Uccle is actually 2 years old this June. Any ideas???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. Well that's no good. It is never good when a chicken stops eating. I don't know what it is for sure. I would pay more than the usual attention to her and give the favorite treats more than ever to help her pull through.

Perhaps she is low on the totem pole and is being pushed around a bit. Maybe put another feeder close by so she can get hers while the bosses are eating.

5. Ducclelover10

Yeah, she's at the bottom of the pecking order, and she gets pushed around like crazy! She's very sweet and comes up and stares at me until I feed her. I do already pay way to much attention to her. There's already more than one feeder. The picky little thing, she used to love sunflower seeds and now I can barely get her to eat them.[​IMG] And she's so terrified of the other chickens, sometimes if she hears the slightest little noise she's hop up about a foot in the air! Thanks for all of your help, I'll have to make sure to keep feeding her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by