Picky Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by feltman, Jan 1, 2011.

1. feltman

feltman New Egg

Apr 30, 2010
    I usually feed my birds layena pellets.

I also occasionally feed them table scraps and the odd "treat" (ramen noodles is their favorite)

The problem is that once they get treat food they ignore their regular feed--sometimes for days.

Eventually, they grudgingly eat the feed but sometimes the long protest actually affects their egg laying.

Is this normal? Any strategies aside from just not feeding them scraps?

We kinda rely on the chickens for waste disposal.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    When I first got chickens and gave them treats they were the same way. They didn't want to eat the chicken feed after having treats. They did eventually eat there feed again, it just took them a while [​IMG] Your birds could just be picky, I have one hen that waits 2-3 days before she will eat the chicken feed after eating treats and them won't eat the treats when she eats the feed (She's wierd I know [​IMG] )

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    my girls are weird about treats! i had leftover sweet potato bake and regular mashed potatoes and i mixed them up together and gave them to the girls, they tried it, but that was IT! i remember as a kid when we had chickens, they would eat ALL our leftovers, like pigs do. i can't get the girls to do this! they will eat leftover salad stuff (which THAT's good) and if i mix plain yogurt with peanut butter, they love that.....i've tried oatmeal for them....went to the effort of cooking it and bringing it to them nice and warm on a cold day....NOPE, they weren't interested. WEIRD!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by