Picky Eaters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kateryna, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Kateryna

Kateryna New Egg

Feb 5, 2017
    My children have neither learnt their table manners nor eat everything we put in their plates yet. I wonder if it's ok to give their leftovers to four week old chickens. The turnt down food includes soups, milk, meat, bread, cooked grains (rice, barley, quinoa), eggs. Is there anything I should be mindful of making sure the chickens don't get? Some of our food maybe salty, spicy, oily.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have fed eggs to chicks at 4 weeks. Bread I would feed only to adults and sparingly, probably the same for the rest of the stuff mentioned. The best extras for young chickens is leafy greens and things like watermelon. Best to save the rest until they are older except in smaller quantities.

3. Kateryna

Kateryna New Egg

Feb 5, 2017
    Thank you for your advice!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Young chicks tend to regard new things with an element of caution. It can take them hours of staring at a new food item before one is brave enough to try it.
    However, they are still growing rapidly so their feed needs to be their primary source of nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by