1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picky eaters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backtothesoil, Apr 28, 2009.

1. backtothesoil

backtothesoil New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Our chickens are about 9 weeks old, and seem to be very picky eaters! I read about other peoples chicks enjoying worms, bugs and all kind of other foods, but ours are having none of it! They have NO interest in worms, or any bugs that I have caught and shown them. They don't like bread, oats, or any other people food that we have tried unless its either peas, dark green lettuce (no iceberg for these girls!) or tomatoes. I just finally convinced them that a little scratch never hurt anyone, and so they will occasionally take a few bites of that. Some interest in a certain kind of weed they are finding (they free range during the day) but none in dandelions or anything else on the ground.

Is it their age? Will they eventually come to love squirmy bugs and kitchen scraps? Or will I forever have picky hens?!

2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Mine didn't when they where younger...now they get a bug or whatever in there mouth and the rest chase them around...they want to know what he has...whoever eats it first wins...

They will....

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    You are just fine! My personal experience is that chickens are just that....chickens. They don't like to explore....! I have tried hand feeding my girls with such great treats, only to find out that they refuse it. Mine are young like yours, but keep trying. They will eventually figure out you can offer them many yummies and then you will have chickens galore at your feet when you come around. How old were they when you got them? Or, did you hatch them? I didn't hatch mine and got them all within 3 months of age, but they still don't earn trust quickly if you aren't imprinted. It'll happen, but may just take longer. Good luck and let me know how the future goes!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Your birds are normal. Leave them the treats and eventually they will say in their own way "we want more!!!" Mine didn't take to some of the things early on either but now enjoy almost everything.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yep, they're just scared of everything at first. Plus mine have no other chickens to teach them what's good. I keep hearing about how great chickens are at disposing of kitchen scraps, but mine are just too young [​IMG]
    It's ok, they need their starter anyway.

I would have figured that by 9 weeks they would be getting better though! I'm sure yours will figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by