Picky eaters??

wayner123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Hey all,

I have a very small flock (3 birds only), so I tend to spoil them a bit. I wanted to add a few treats to get them used to eating out of my hand and to get them to come running when I break out the treats. But, I have a bit of a weird situation. Of my 3, only one likes dried mealworms. The other two look at them and then just keep walking. So I figured I'd try BOSS (black oily sunflower seed). Well none of them will eat it. They peck at it, but that's it.

They do LOVE corn on the cob though. I give them the leftovers of the ones that my family has not eaten. They will devour those. But I know it's not good to give them corn all the time. Are there any other treats that I could try? Maybe live mealworms? Or maybe a scratch mix (the kind with corn)? It's not a major problem as they are on Flock Raiser and get to free range. I just like to spoil them, but they could care less about treats it seems.

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Have you tried simply putting some Flock Raiser in your hand? Often, how it is presented makes it a treat rather than what it is - similar to using pieces of kibble as training treats for working with a dog vs. using actual "treats".

wayner123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Have you tried simply putting some Flock Raiser in your hand? Often, how it is presented makes it a treat rather than what it is - similar to using pieces of kibble as training treats for working with a dog vs. using actual "treats".

I tried that in the past. It worked well as I was using it to get them adjusted to using my bucket feeder. I'll have to try it again. Thanks for the KISS idea!

Top Bottom