Ashb0429

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
So I have a Silkie girl who has gone broody as silkies tend to do. She is only sitting on two real eggs and two ceramic eggs at the moment. I’ve offered her four other eggs and she will accept the cochin eggs but on two different occasions has rejected the Orpington eggs.

Maybe she is in feud with the Orpingtons but I find it interesting that she is willing to sit on ceramic and cochin eggs but not the Orpington eggs.

Ashb0429

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
this is just what @OneHappyRooster needs to hear!

Even the featherfooted dont like Orps!!!
lol! I like my Orps, although they seem to be my most free spirited free rangers and love to wander much farther than the rest of the flock. They often need retrieving.
@OneHappyRooster do buff Orpington cockerels take a while to develop pronounced saddle feathers? I’ve got some 20 wk old pullets and I realized two weeks ago that My largest “pullet” was looking mighty suspicious. Now it undeniably looks like a cockerel based off size, and comb/wattles but Im having a hard time seeing a difference in saddle and neck feathers from the other pullets the same age. The chicken in question also hasn’t begun crowing or laying do the size and comb is all I have to go off of.

OneHappyRooster

Free Ranging
Apr 5, 2020
Orpington-Land
lol! I like my Orps, although they seem to be my most free spirited free rangers and love to wander much farther than the rest of the flock. They often need retrieving.
@OneHappyRooster do buff Orpington cockerels take a while to develop pronounced saddle feathers? I’ve got some 20 wk old pullets and I realized two weeks ago that My largest “pullet” was looking mighty suspicious. Now it undeniably looks like a cockerel based off size, and comb/wattles but Im having a hard time seeing a difference in saddle and neck feathers from the other pullets the same age. The chicken in question also hasn’t begun crowing or laying do the size and comb is all I have to go off of.
PM me and send me a photo of her.
I've not found they take any longer to get saddles than the average, but sometimes it's hard to spot. Any boys definitely would have saddling by now.
By 20 weeks it's highly likely you have a pullet.

Top Bottom