picky pullets

miss pickles

In the Brooder
May 12, 2018
Idaho
Since I've introduced greens to my pullets, they are not interested in grains. Is this normal? They are not free range 'cause of neighbor cats and my dogs.

what do you mean not interested in grains? Are you talking chicken feed or a grain mix you mix yourself? Did they eat it before? And, lastly lol, what kind of greens are you giving them that they prefer? Generally speaking, chickens wont starve themselves. If all thats available is the grains they will eat it when they get hungry enough. If they are offered both, they may select the green cause they like them better. I haven't run into a complete refusal to eat though mine will devour their sprouts or fermented feed before touching seeds (like black sunflower seed)

Sounds like they are just leaving the grain mix cause the other stuff is more tasty. If you want them to have that stuff as a treat but not forgo the grains, then I'd withhold the extras until they start eating regularaly again and then only give it to them infrequently as a treat. My pullets right now love their treats but still eat their fermented stuff. Maybe try wetting down the grain? Make it like mash and see if that makes any difference for them?

Treats are almost always preferred over feed. So just treat in moderation. Chickens won't starve themselves but they might hold out so they can get more tasty snacks in their tummies.

Back
Top Bottom