*[pics added 4/16 * Lost all 5 this morning...I'm so sad.

FormerCityGal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Hi all,
Have been lurking since getting my first chickens about a year ago and learning so much about my new hobby.

This morning all 5 chickens were gone from their run. They have a 2-story coop with free access to outside run. Run is approx 25ft x 50ft. No obvious signs of forced entry into run area, all chicken wire undisturbed.

This morning, there were feathers on ground outside of coop area. We followed feather trail to back trail area where there were remains of one chicken, another pile of just feathers nearby.

I don't know if it's coyotes, a hawk, a bobcat or what. I can't imagine why all FIVE are gone. Would a predator have jumped over the fence back and forth that many times? I doubt it. However, there doesn't appear to be scuffle marks that would show a number of predators in the run.

Anything specific I can look for?

Last edited:
WelcometoBYC.gif
. I'm so sorry for your losses
hugs.gif
. Hopefully the experts in this section can help prevent this from happening again

I am so very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
Was the run open at the top? Not completely closed off?

Yes, it's open on top. I'm at work right now but will take a pic of the area and post it tomorrow. I'd like to get feedback on how I can improve the safety of the run.

I'd figure out how big of a problem hawks are in your area. If it seems that is the likely culprit I know you can find netting for fairly cheap. It's just netting so it will keep the hawks out but if your predator is something like a raccoon they will be able to gnaw right through it. Losing all 5 at once is strange. I would almost want to say a canine of some type but if you say there's no trace of any then who knows.

Best of luck and I hope you are able to figure it out... It can be really frustrating not knowing what took your birds.

Sorry if this is a cross-post but I also started a thread on the coop & run board asking for feedback. Here are pics of our chicken area. The chicken remains were found on the property straight behind ours, over the white vinyl fence. The chicken wings had been clipped and they were not able to fly over the pvc moveable fence (in foreground). Something(s) had taken all 5 chickens out over the far fence.

Back
Top Bottom