*PICS Added*I don't think it is Splayed leg???? Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RachaelS, Jun 28, 2011.

1. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sorry on phone can not research! I have a chick (4 weeks old) who has a leg that goes out to the side. You can "bend" it back to normal does not seem to hurt it but it goes right back to the side. What is it and what do I do? Thank you for any help you can offer!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Hi.

Im sorry to hear about your chick with the splayed leg. I had a baby that was shipped to me at one day old, that had splayed leg.

I lost her the next day, however, I gave her the best fighting chance I could by placing a " hobble" around her legs.

Its kind of like a brace, but made of a Bandaid.

I centered the center, non sticky part of the Band Aid , between her feet.

I then wrapped 1 end of the sticky part around her left leg, and attached sticky part to sticky part.

I repeated around the right leg.

I dont know if I was able to describe it well enough for you, so, please ask others if I didnt help..LOL

Anyway, I hear you are supposed to leave it on them for a day or 2, or until they seem to stand with both legs under themselves without falling.

Even tho the legs have this brace on them, the chick can " Hobble " to her food and water.

Hope this helps,

DD

3. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So that is what it is?

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The link in my signature has a lot of info on foot/leg injuries. It has treatments with good pics to help you.

Good luck. [​IMG]

5. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Okay I was able to look at pictures of splayed leg and that is not what it is. This little ones right leg twist out to the left at the knee, the thigh faces forward the way it should, but at the knee it turns to the side. What is this? Like I said I can gently turn it back to the front and it does not seem to hurt it, but it always turns right back.

BrattishTaz, I bet your website would help, but for some reason my computer will not down load any of the pictures, just has that box with the red X at the top left corner.

6. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ideas??? Please [​IMG]

7. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    I would try to treat it just like splayed leg. that way, the sticky part of the band aid will keep it facing forward and hopefully the muscles will form correctly. Or you could try a splint... But ask someone with more experience than me about that one.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I couldn't find anything on this specific issue. [​IMG] I'm thinking you need to craft a brace that would hold the leg straight. There is a brace that can be made from a drining straw cut to the right length and then cut lengthwise so the leg can be slipped in. I'm not sure if that would hold the knee in the right position though. You could try it.

Will the knee stay in place if you wrap it with vet wrap or something similar? Don't make it too tight. You will have to change it every couple of days because chicks grow so fast. You will also have to make sure the chick can drink without falling into the water.

9. RachaelS

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Okay here are the pictures, any ideas are really helpful!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by