1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*pics added*Roosters everywhere (or maybe I'm losing my mind)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gnawsey, May 31, 2007.

1. Gnawsey

Gnawsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    So, I have 4 chicks that I bought through my local feed store from Ideal. All are suppose to be pullets. But, I have my doubts about 3 of them. They are about 4 1/2 weeks old. My buff Brahma has a really red comb, my Houdan doesn't have a puffy crest and is more aggressive, and my E.E. has a short tail and is growing waddles. My hubby tells me not to worry, that no way could 3 out of the 4 be roosters. Is he right? Is it too early to tell? Am I losing my mind? lol

I'll try and get some pics today if I can get them to hold still.

On the plus side, we got their run finished yesterday, so they are enjoying a beautiful day outside for the first time. :)

Stacie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Pictures give us the best guess.[​IMG]
    Brahmas are usually late bloomers. Houdans are light breed so they might be faster growing. EE's are someplace in the middle.

3. Gnawsey

Apr 3, 2007
    anyone want to take a guess?

Stacie

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    They all look like girls to me...but I'm terribly bad at guessing who's a boy and who's a girl. [​IMG] The Houdan is very cool looking...great now I want some of those, too... [​IMG]

5. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    The one with the head feathers is awesome! I would go with leg thickness but unfortunately you have noone to compare them to. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, your Buff Brahma looks a little like a boy to me and this is why: I had one of Ideal's sexing mistakes in a Light Brahma. He had a different pattern on his hackle area, much more black, not the neat Columbian pointy black color like my other pullet. Here is Bart, formerly known as Bess-see the black wash in the hackle area? Maybe in the second pic you can see the pullet's difference-she's on the left of the picture. I kept saying I had a boy and people kept telling me I didn't, then he crowed. Sweet, sweet boy. In the last picture, he's 7 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  7. Gnawsey

Apr 3, 2007
    The Houdan is my 4 year old DS favorite. She isn't has friendly has our australorp, but she looks so cool.

I think you do need some.[​IMG]

Stacie

8. Gnawsey

Apr 3, 2007
    oh shoot speckledhen. I hope "she" is not a "he". Zelda is my favorite. (keeping my fingers crossed)

Stacie

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I hope not, too, for your sake. I also have a Buff Brahma named Caroline. They are sweet and beautiful girls and I ended up having to find Bart a new home where he could be the only rooster. He was the most cuddly cockerel I ever had and I hated to give him up, but I already had three other roosters here and never intended to have a Brahma roo, especially since they can get very large and can be hard on smaller hens. I'm crossing my fingers for you that I'm wrong about Zelda!

10. Gnawsey

Apr 3, 2007
    Well speckledhen,

You were right! Zelda turned out to be a Zeldo. He was trying his best to crow his little heart out this morning. Back to the feed store he went. I felt bad, but I can't have a rooster. So far, I believe all the others are pullets.

Thanks for your help again.

Stacie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by