PICS ADDED ** Telling age of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CircleC, Jul 1, 2011.

1. CircleC

CircleC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hey guys.

New chicken owner here. I'm wondering how/if you can tell the age of chicks by their physical looks?

I bought 2 Rhode Island Red chicks about 3 weeks ago, but they were pretty big. They now almost have all their reg feathers. They have "baby fuzz" on their heads/necks, but pretty much have all their reg feathers everywhere else. Any idea how old they would be?

I also went back and bought one more Rhode Island Red chick and 4 Orpington chicks. They are little and the only "normal looking" feathers they have are on the tips of their wings. Any idea how old they are?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Pictures will help us, you need to make 10 posts, then follow this link to post pictures...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

it sounds like roos to me...but pictures would definitely help us...just go and make a few more comments then come back and put up your pics...

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your RIR were about 4 weeks old when you got them. The new chicks are a about 2-3 days old. It's easier to estimate if we can see pictures. [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Pictures would help us take a better guess, but based on your description I would say the ones with fuzzy necks and regular feathers everywhere else are about 4 weeks old. And I would say the others are a little over a week.

5. CircleC

Jul 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ok... I'm going to go do 10 posts so I can post pics lol... I'll be back in a bit.

6. CircleC

Jul 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Forgot to mention...

I also have a malliard (?) duckling that we rescued. I'm not sure how he/she got separated from it's mother, but we found it in the driveway, no other ducks around. So, of course we grabbed it before the cat could. This is why I decided to get some chickens and play around with them.

I'm wondering how old the duck is too. I have had it for 3ish weeks and he/she is not very big. Do they not get reg feathers as quickly as a chicken does? He is still fluff. Also, how can I tell if "he's" a boy or a girl? [​IMG]

Will attach pics soon.... working on my 10 posts

Thanks!

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I don't know much about ducks but I am pretty sure that they stay fluff longer then chickens do. Also, I think the males will develop something called a drake feather which is a basically a curled feather and the females won't. But I don't know much about ducks so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. CircleC

Jul 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thos is what the 2 older RIR's looked like when I brought them home: age?
    [​IMG]

This is what they look like now:
    [​IMG]

Here are the ones I got today:(age?)
    [​IMG]

Here is the duck: (age/sex???)
    [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The RIR look around 2 weeks in the first pic and 4 weeks in the second pic. Your second set of chicks look like 2-3 days old. I don't know anything about ducks.

10. CircleC

Jul 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Nicole. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by