*PICS* Chick squatting with swollen knee joint and wings out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a 3-4 weeks old Cochin chick acting funny. It's squatting down low with it's wings held out. It's legs seem like they are bowed out??? It doesn't want to walk much but chirps and eats. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

did he just start doing this? sounds like a leg problem and the wings are out for balance and support.

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    He's always looked very wide, but i didn't notice it bothering him. I also noticed his knee joint looks red.

4. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    He's the light colored chick in my avatar picture. He's always looked wide.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OK, so this may sound dumb, but, could he be bearing down trying to poop? I mean, look back there...maybe he's constipated?

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

as he puts on weight his bad legs can't suport him as well... splayed leg, maybe? don't know a lot about it... solutions anyone?

7. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    My chicks started doing it too, at first I thought wow a little young to be doing the egg squat aren't we? Then I realized mine were doing it because they were just hot. BUT mine were eating too, so I'll just go back to my own little world now. [​IMG]

8. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Quote:Yep, that was my thought too. It sure is hot here in GA lately. Could your chick just be overheated? Have you tried moving the chick into a cooler location and observing the behavior?

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I moved him to the garage this morning and he's still doing it hours later.

10. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Ok here are some pictures. He has been the same the entire day. He is pooping - I'm not sure if he has been drinking though. His knees look red and swollen - almost like he is disfigured. Thoughts please!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by