1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics comb/wattle change w/laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zenbirder, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Here are my two Rhode Islands Whites from the same hatch. They are around 20 weeks old. Katie, first pic, is not laying. Lilly in the second pic has been laying for about a week now, a nice good color brown egg. I know some people were curious about changes in the faces so I thought this was a good example.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Interesting....thank you! I've got changes; but not that prominent! Guess I've got a couple more weeks yet!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That is a good example, but by the looks of it, your first girl my never get a huge comb. Her wattles are already rather large in comparison. A good example though to show others who haven't seen this before!

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Great example! But not explaining why my chickens haven't started laying yet... I have some that definitely look like the 2nd pic and have looked that way for the past 2-3 weeks. No eggs yet!

I'm getting so frustrated...

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Zenbirder—Thank you so much for that posting! I was really starting to think, ‘Is our leghorn a roo?’ when that comb started to turn! It gets so red and, well, puffy. No eggies yet, tho (from the leghorns).

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

sometimes the change is not that obvious (especially with pea combs)....but when the comb and wattles turn blood red...you know you'll be getting eggs any day!

Sandra

7. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Did Lilly's comb grow that big in a week since she started laying? What makes the comb get so red? My little girls combs (5 1/2 weeks) are just starting to nub up and they are pale/pale pink.

8. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    It happens pretty fast, within a couple of weeks. I have been suprised at the "puberty' signs being so obvious on some of the girls. I am still not sure what will happen with the EE combs, it is a wait and see game for a new chickie Mom! I LOVE getting fresh eggs:
    green chilie/fried egg/melted cheddar sandwitches
    fresh from the garden zuchini with fresh mushroom frittata
    Orange whole wheat french toast because of real yolks.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by